- FHL Home » Hunting & Fishing » Hunting
Fort Hunter Liggett
Hunting & Fishing Program
FORT HUNTER LIGGETT HUNTING PROGRAM
Fort Hunter Liggett (FHL) is an active military training facility encompassing approximately 162,000 acres of grasslands, woodlands, and chaparral habitats in southern Monterey County. FHL is about 25 miles southwest of King City along Jolon Road, and about 50 miles northwest of Paso Robles. When military training activities allow, FHL may have up to 130,000 acres open to hunting on weekends and federal holidays, except Christmas Day. The number of hunters is limited any given weekend and registration is on a first-come first-served basis except for the general A-Zone deer season in which a lottery system is used.
Hunting on Fort Hunter Liggett requires an FHL hunting permit, a valid California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) hunting license, species tags and/or stamps, and photo identification. CDFW license, species tags or stamps are not available at FHL.
|FHL Hunting Permit Fees 2013-14||Conservation
|General Public Annual||$65.00||$85.00||$150.00|
|General Public Two Day||$30.00||$45.00||$75.00|
|Ping Only Hunting Annual||$40.00||$70.00||$110.00|
|Pig only Two Day||$15.00||$25.00||$40.00|
|Military Veterans*1||$65.00||$60.00||$125.00||Active Duty Military E7+, Officers & Retirees*2||$65.00||$35.00||$100.00|
|Active Duty Military E5 & E6 *3||$45.00||$30.00||$75.00|
|Youth Hunting *4||$15.00||$20.00||$35.00|
|E4 and Below No Fee *5|
|2013/2014 Additional Hunting Program Fees|
|While You Wait Processing||$20.00||$20.00|
|Elk Only Application Fee (non-refundable) *6||$50.00||$50.00|
|1 Must submit DD214 or VA ID Card with a copy of drivers license or state ID|
|2Permit applicant must be a military member on active duty status E7-E9, an officer or Military Retiree (submit copy of CAC Card or Blue Retiree ID Card)|
|3 Permit applicant must be a military member on active duty status E5-E6 (submit copy of CAC Card)||4 Permit applicant must present a copy of a CDFW youth hunting license.||5 Permit applicant must be a military member on active duty status E4 or below (submit copy of CAC Card)||6 Will require permit if selected. Application fee will be applied to permit cost. No additional preference points will be awarded following year.|
2013-2014 Hunting Permit Application
2013-2014 Hunting Permit Fee Structure
Hunted Species: The following species may be hunted on FHL during open seasons and by CDFW regulations: deer, tule elk, pig, coyote, bobcat, jackrabbit, cottontail, tree squirrel, dove, quail, pigeon, turkey, duck and goose.
Special Ammunition Requirement: FHL is a non-lead ammunition hunting area. Non-lead bullets and shotshell ammunitions are required for firearms hunting.
Special Weapon Areas: Training Areas 29 and 13E are walk-in only, and restricted to shotgun, muzzle-loading, and archery weapons. Training Area 3 is restricted to archery only.
Registration: Hunters must register in person at the Wildlife Check Station located across from the FHL campground. Each hunter is assigned to one open training area at a time. Hunters may change training areas. Registration hours vary with day-length and season of the year. Please call (831) 386-3310 to verify registration hours. Minor hunters may register when accompanied by an adult with photo identification.
Visitors: Each hunter is allowed one non-hunting visitor free of charge.
Follow these steps to hunt at FHL:
- Purchase the appropriate CDFW license, tags, and stamps.
- Submit by mail a correctly completed Fort Hunter Liggett hunting permit application. See the application for detailed instructions.
- Review FHL regulations, and CDFW regulations.
- Visit the FHL weekly update website (http://www.liggett.army.mil/sites/fishhunt/update.asp) or call the Hunting Information Line at (831) 386-3310 (typically updated Thursday evenings) for open training areas and Wildlife Check Station window hours for the upcoming weekend.
- Pick up your FHL hunting permit in person with current photo identification at the Wildlife Check Station.
- Registration (check-in) is mandatory each time you hunt - check into one open training area to receive a training area pass (Hunter Registration and Harvest Report Form). Training area changes are available at the Wildlife Check Station.
- Report ALL of your harvest on the Harvest Report Form.
- Checkout is mandatory at the end of hunting, prior to leaving FHL. Return both copies (yellow and pink) of the Hunter Registration and Harvest Report Form to the Wildlife Check Station.
Other Important Information:
- 2013-2014 Annual Hunting Permits are valid from July 1, 2013 through June 30, 2014 concurrent with the hunting license year.
- 2013-2014 Two-Day Hunting Permits are valid for any one weekend from July 1, 2013 through June 30, 2014.
- Permit applications are not a reservation for hunting on a weekend.
- Military applicants must submit a copy of the Common Access Card (front only) to verify military pay grade.
- Entry into FHL through the Main Gates requires all visitors to provide a photo identification, and current vehicle registration and proof insurance.