All vehicles operated by personnel employed by the Combat Support Training Center (CSTC) must display valid California vehicle registration (active duty military stationed in California are exempt). Employees coming from other states must obtain a California driver's license and vehicle registration. Application must be made within 20 days of accepting a job at CSTC.

§6700 CVC Use of Foreign License Plates: Limitation states: "...the owner of any vehicle otherwise subject to registration under this code,... registered in a foreign jurisdiction may operate the vehicle in this state until gainful employment is accepted in this state or until residency is established in this state, which ever occurs first, if the vehicle displays valid license plates and has a valid registration issued to the owner, and the owner was a resident of that state at the time of issuance. Application to register the vehicle shall be made within 20 days after gainful employment is accepted in this state or residency is established in this state."

§516 CVC Resident states: The following are evidence of residency for purposes of vehicle registration:

  • Address where registered to vote.
  • Location of employment or place of business.
  • Payment of resident tuition at a public institution of higher education.
  • Attendance of dependents at a primary or secondary school.
  • Filing of homeowner's property tax exemption.
  • Renting or leasing a home for use as a residence.
  • Declaration of residency to obtain a license or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to a nonresident.
  • Possession of a California driver's license.

§4000.4 (a) CVC Registration Required: Primary Use states: Except as provided in §6700 CVC ..., any vehicle which is registered to a nonresident owner, and which is based in California or primarily used on California highways, shall be registered in California.

§15 CVC Shall and May states: "Shall" is mandatory and "may" is permissive.


Post Access Requirements

  • Current drivers license for vehicle operators.
  • Current govt. (federal/state) identification card for passengers and all adults in vehicle.
  • Current proof of vehicle insurance.
  • Current state vehicle registration (temporary or permanent).
  • If driving a rental car, must have rental agreement.
Page last updated Monday January 12th, 2015